Thursday, March 3, 2011

Confetti Cake


Last night I finished piecing my Confetti Cake quilt top. While I worked on it I listened to a book on tape, The Quilter's Apprentice, by Jennifer Chiaverini. I actually learned a few things I hadn't known before.

The log cabin quilt top is a very common quilt. Traditionally, the center square is red (representing the hearth of the home) or yellow (representing light and warmth). During the Civil War and the days of the underground railroad a family sympathetic to the underground movement would make a log cabin quilt with a black square in the center. This might be hung in the window or on the clothes line, and signaled to a runaway slave that this was a home where they might knock on the door and expect to receive help. I love quilting, but still have so much to learn.

One thing I hate about quilting is threads, threads, threads everywhere. Last night I was wearing a fleece jacket. Randy took one look at me and said, "No one seeing you in that jacket will ever be able to call you "threadbare." I'm done, now where's the vacuum?

3 comments:

Kristin said...

It looks fabulous!!!! I'm sure it's even better in person. What are you going to do with it? I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

I love the pattern and colors you chose. I like how there is one triangle in each square. How long did it take you to piece it together?

Anonymous said...

That last comment was made by Natalie.