Thursday, March 31, 2011

How Very Cool Is This?!


I am pretty excited about the discovery of these metal plates in a Jordanian cave. There are about 70 of these small plates (about the size of a credit card) and they are bound together in groups of 5 to 15 plates and fastened with metal rings. Some of them are bound all the way around (sealed). Some have speculated that they carry secret information that may pertain to the temple. They date back to the period between 200 BC and 100 AD. Scholars suggest that if these plates are authentic they may be the most important archaeological discovery ever (including the dead sea scrolls). Right now there is a dispute over ownership and I'm hoping that some angry Bedouin doesn't destroy them or hide them somewhere. I wonder if the church will get involved as they did with the dead sea scrolls. I will be watching this story with interest.

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

Wow. That is very interesting!! I will read your blog to hear more!