Saturday, March 12, 2011

Making Jello


I'm teaching gospel doctrine tomorrow. As usual, Randy asked me what I was planning to do with my lesson. I said, "I'm making jello." I put all my ideas in a bowl, added two cups of boiling water, and stirred it for about a week while I looked for additional ingredients (some fresh berries and a little bit of lemonade concentrate sounded good). Despite my best efforts I have not found the perfect story, a great personal experience, or not even any really new insights. I'm afraid it may turn out to be just plain jello after all. I put it in the fridge for a few days to see if something would gel. When I checked on it this morning I decided it has turned out to be "jigglers". I think I've got to get it out today and whip it up a bit, get some air into it. I'm still praying that the Lord will provide the whipped cream (spirit) to fold in. I love being a teacher. I've been tasting this "jello" all week and it has been nourishing and tasty to me, but I don't know if one giant spoonful tomorrow is really going to be satisfying to my class.

If you're looking for a jello recipe, here is the one that our family has always loved:

Lemon Cream Jello

1 package lemon jello (3 oz.)
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
Dissolve all the above.

Add 6 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate
Refrigerate until partially set. Whip jello until frothy.
Whip 1 cup heavy cream. Sweeten. Fold into jello and pour into
jello mold. I use a ring mold. When I serve it I unmold it on a
plate and fill the center with fresh fruit -- especially strawberries,
bananas and kiwis. You can use a different mold and then arrange
the fruit around the outside edge. Enjoy -- almost like dessert!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I am sure your lesson will be great! This week I thought about this recipe, I remember it from Grandma Peterson. I intended to find the recipe. Thank You for posting!

Kristin said...

How did your "jello" turn out?