Sunday, March 20, 2011

Some Things Never Change


Last week after I wrote about Quinn Patrick's birthday and posted the picture of him with his little dog, Fudge, he sent me this side-by-side picture of himself with a dog named Weazel. I was so struck with the similarity that I want to share this picture and the story behind it.

Quinn has a really unique and cool relationship to dogs. His PhD research is in the area of cancer. He's developed a drug which promises to be really successful. Of course, it takes about 15 years from the time a new drug is discovered until it is FDA approved and on the market, so the end of that process is still a long ways in the future. While the drug is intended to eventually be used with humans, dogs also suffer from cancer and treatment for them is so expensive that most people cannot afford to get help for their pets. In conjunction with Quinn's research at the University, the Department of Veterinary Science is accepting dogs into a program where they can be treated with Quinn's drug, PAC-1, as part of the clinical trials necessary to get the drug approved. If you are interested, here is a link to a blog Quinn wrote about his work a couple of years ago. He can certainly explain it better than I can.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

It's a little scary how similar Quinn looks to his younger photo...gosh I wish I looked more like my youthful self!

Quinn said...

Although I may look pretty similar, I'm glad that I've ditched the "suspenders over the sweater" look.